      From: Mason Smith <goodboat@...>
      To: bolger@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Wednesday, January 9, 2013 9:21 PM
      Subject: RE: [bolger] Re: Plywood question

      My two cents on this plywood business is that I like to use oukoume (I don’t have experience with meranti  but think it would be better than oukoume) rather than fir for a couple of reasons. More laminations for a given thickness, for one. But the main one is that I don’t like to glass above the waterline if I don’t have to, and certainly not inside, and fir will check, for sure, if you don’t glass it. That operation throws out any saving in buying fir. Buy oukoume or meranti and don’t glass unless you must for abrasion resistance on the bottom. Put some trust in a coat or two of epoxy and two or three of good paint.
      Mason Smith
      Adirondack Goodboat
      68 North Point Road
      Long Lake, NY 12847