      From: bolger@yahoogroups.com [mailto: bolger@yahoogroups.com ] On Behalf Of dnjost
      Sent: Wednesday, January 09, 2013 4:39 PM
      To: bolger@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [bolger] Re: Plywood question

      I haven't posted here for a while, but would add that my Workskiff 18 is built out of a marine grade fir, but encapsulated inside and out with epoxy set in glass. (I will also admit to treating it with antifreeze prior to glassing). so far, 5 years later it is still in like new condition. I would not want to put my blood and sweat into a project and then have it delaminate. You could purchase a chunk and put it through the boil/dry cycle a few times. That saved me a bundle over the years when dealing with various grades of exterior plywood.

      Having said that, in these smaller boats I think it is worth the leap to Joubert Merenti, or an okoume ply. The Merenti is seems worth the piece of mind to know that your boat won't delaminate in the middle of a pond on a cold winter's day, and that in itself seems worth the extra $80 bucks.

      My last build was not a Bolger boat, but I did use BS1088 Okoume for the Michalak Vireo. It was beautiful, and came in very light at 56 pounds with only the bottom glassed. It is subject to denting, but handles well. the merenti splinters more when cutting but provides a harder surface. Better for where glass won't be used.

      Ok group. FIRE AT IT!

      Happy building,
      David Jost, Boston , MA

      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "steven_dantonio" wrote:

      > Hello,
      >
      > I'm just about ready to start on a Mayfly 14 and was shopping around for
      plywood. Has anyone used Georgia-Pacific's "Dry-Ply plywood". It looks like it's treated so I'm a bit hesitant unless I can find out some good information regarding it's gluing properties.

      > Thanks,
      > Steven

    • Show all 7 messages in this topic