69110finally getting off my butt, looking for recomendations

  • steven_dantonio
    Dec 19, 2012
      Hi All,

      After several years pf procrastination (I like to call it researching my options) it is time to build a boat.

      I am looking for comments, both pro and con on my three finalists in the selection (not in any special order:

      1. the Summer Breeze http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/07/projects/summerb/index.htm

      2. The Featherwind http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/01/articles/featherwind/index.htm

      3. Storm Petrel http://www.belljar.net/bolgersp.htm

      Of the three, the Summer breeze would probably be the quickest and easiest build for a first boat, and probably the easiest to car top (actually pickup truck top). As far as my skills I have over 20 years making making furniture and violins, but no boats. So, while I'm not an expert boat builder, I do know which end of the saw to hold onto.

      The first boat build will most likely be 0.25 inch luan ply (home depot grade) with fir chine's (yeah I know it will probably have to be rebuild in a couple years from better materials). Glassed and epoxy encapsulated. With this in mind the Summer Breeze followed in a couple years by a Storm Petrel seems like a good logical sequence (although I was thinking AS29, Jessie Cooper, or black skimmer for the second boat).

      The goal is a small-medium size lake, solo, daysailer with will probably never see salt water in it's first year of life.

      All three boats have a fairly wide beam, something I like for stability. So I shouldn't roll it to often. I also like a transom so I can tell the pointy end from the back (helps me know if I have it in forward or reverse). This is one reason I decided against the windsprint for a first boat (also the relatively small beam).

      So, suggestions and comments please. Both pro and con.

      Thank you,
    • Show all 9 messages in this topic