69108Re: [bolger] Bolger Sailing Scow and David Raison 747 Hybrid

  • Mike Graf
    Dec 18, 2012
      keep dreaming. that's one of the great parts of boating
       racers are rarely concerned about comfort and and always concerned about speed.
      That little racer compared to Dave and Onka's Triloboat is apple to oranges
      The racer 6-8 knots and nerve racking(but fun) Slacktide3-4 knots as comfy as your living-room
      The racer, I bet , expensive, certainly the rig is- Slack built w/economy as a priority, wasting as little of the 4x8 sheet material as possible ergo max volume for the amount of material bought

      Slacktide  is an amphibian in large part due to the choice of HEAVY copper bottom
      Never do a haul-out/bottom job      Ballast    and malleable durability  simple genius

      ocean barges transit the ocean daily towed by giant tugboats... but there's no people inside WHINING about how rough the ride is.

      So     racing fun       Cruising fun         Dreaming fun             Sail-on brother

      On 12/18/2012 02:48 AM, Darrell wrote:

      racing -funHello my fellow Bolger fans. I'm a total newbe to boats, and I don't even know the basic jargon yet. However, I would like to discuss the "big picture" with you.
      For quite some time considered one day owning a  boat as a source of recreation. As world events are unfolding, I have started to think of a boat as a vehicle for evacuation and long-term survival.

      The sailing scow, as depicted by Bolger's #501 and BWAOM Chapter 41, would seem to me to be a good choice. Cheaper to build, with lot's of space, and sufficiently seaworthy to serve as coastal cruisers. The flat bottom triloboat, Slacktide , is serving in this capacity up in South East Alaska. It is shoal draft and copper clad underneath, capable of grounding herself as the tides and weather require. An acceptable spot could turn into a long-term camping location.

      However, the coastal cruising limitation is one that is disturbing to me. What if the wife insists on evacuating to Hawaii? Or the evacuation takes place when King Neptune is stirring up a fuss? Recently, I became aware of David Raison crossing the Atlantic in a minitransat 6.50, which is a 21-foot scow racing boat. I scratched my head on that one. I thought scows were not ocean crossers.

      O.K., I know that Raison's 747 has the innovative "bulbous" bow, which, instead of cutting through the waves, bobs over them, using it's extra floatatriloboation to avoid plowing itself under. I also know the wide-bodied minitransats have dual rudders and a swing keel hanging on a gimbel, or something. Why could not a larger sailing he rcer probablyscow avail itself of features inspired by Teamwork Evolution and the minitransats? Of course, the scow I envision must retain it's extreme shoal draft, because neeping the boat, and going through tight shallow passages, is part of the survival strategy. Perhaps two advanced leaboards taking the place of the swing keel? Another attribute that can't be dispensed with is the metal covering on the bottom half of the hull, to allow beaching and neeping on rockier beaches.

      Another issue is sails. What do you think of junk sails? Again, they are easier and cheaper to make, and I understand they are easy to repair at sea.
      Here is a link to shoal draft boats, and a link to Teleport, a junk-rigged sailboat that took an Aussie, and his cute girlfriend, to the Arctic. My Boat Page

      Thanks for humoring me...I know my level of knowledge on these topics is comical.

      Darrell
      San Diego, CA

    • Show all 9 messages in this topic