    Sent: Sunday, November 11, 2012 3:42 AM
    Subject: [bolger] Re: MICRO TRAWLER

    The Microtrawler Grebe was a nice build project documented at Duckworks Magazine. She started life as a standard MT but the owner cut back the sleeping quarters area to open up that space on deck for the grand kids to roam about. The third photo looks like a variation of the Berkeley Eastman Can-Du EZ mini-tug, albeit with a western style slanted fwd windshield. I really see an inboard engine creating more design issues that an outboard mounted engine eliminates, but in the end, it is your own interpretation of the design that counts. As long as all installed engine systems are per standards established by the ABYC and are safe, go for it! As you are probably aware, US Coast Guard and ABYC standards for inboard mounted engines will call for proper engine compartment ventilation, spark arrested air intakes and proper fuel line routing and mounting standards to be followed. Enclosing a gasoline powered engine in an enclosed space creates certain hazards that must be taken into consideration! Fuel vapors collecting in that space and an errant spark can result in tragic circumstances and should not be taken lightly. I like that slanted forward windshield. That style came from the US west coast fishing vessels, where the slanted windshield was found to better shed water. Should be an interesting build, Nezih!

  • Show all 42 messages in this topic