69023Re: [bolger] Re: 40' Puffer

  • Tom Pee
    Nov 7, 2012
      Reread article and no specific details of handling issues otherthan the handiness of the fwd OB.
      you should without doubt make it wider if you build for additional height, it will slightly decrease efficiency due to l-b ratio. I would stay with 45hp it keeps it simple to maintain and less loss of room for addional fuel storage. The hull will make headway even in currents, if they are to much for the 45, you shouldnt be in them even with higher horses. The headsea action wouldnt be any worse than the bluff bowed as39, a sail might be called for if spending more time in open waters.

      On Tue, Nov 6, 2012 8:58 PM PST daschultz8275@... wrote:

      >Glad you corrected yourself. Bolger warned in the article that not only would the outboard fail to stay immersed, the slab sided bow will cause at least handling issues in some particular seas. IMO more HP to handle river currents makes sense, if one wishes to add the fuel capacity to feed it. I have also thought to get the HP aboard by turning the fwd engine around so that it thrusts aft. Tandem OBs of say 75-100hp each would get Illinois moving along well. The forward motorwell would need to be further aft just because of motor size.
      >
      >IF I were to build it, I would ADD 6"-8" to the sides to provide sufficient headroom for my 6'3" frame.
      >
      >--- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Tom Pee <tompee77@...> wrote:

    • Show all 9 messages in this topic