68995RE: [bolger] Birdwatcher: how deep a gripe?

  • Connor, Patrick
    Nov 2, 2012

      My Whalewatcher has a similar bow-board and I have found it a handy and useful device to aid low-speed maneuvering.

      From: bolger@yahoogroups.com [mailto:bolger@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of kateo
      Sent: Friday, November 02, 2012 10:48 AM
      To: bolger@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [bolger] Birdwatcher: how deep a gripe?

      Having tried to trolling motor a Birdwatcher with a disabled centerboard crosswind, I have learned that it needs a gripe ( shallow bow keel ) or a fore-dagger.

      The foredagger would mirror what Dovekies had, I think.

      A gripe is a whole heckuva lot easier to retrofit.

      So the question is, how deep, and how long?

      I am also considering a broomstick mizzen to help keep head to wind. Interestingly enough Thames barges had steering mizzensails mounted on their rudders which turned with the rudder.

    • Show all 9 messages in this topic