68994Birdwatcher: how deep a gripe?

  • kateo
    Nov 2, 2012
      Having tried to trolling motor a Birdwatcher with a disabled centerboard crosswind, I have learned that it needs a gripe ( shallow bow keel ) or a fore-dagger.

      The foredagger would mirror what Dovekies had, I think.

      A gripe is a whole heckuva lot easier to retrofit.

      So the question is, how deep, and how long?

      I am also considering a broomstick mizzen to help keep head to wind. Interestingly enough Thames barges had steering mizzensails mounted on their rudders which turned with the rudder.
    • Show all 9 messages in this topic