68871Re: [bolger] Pegleg Mast

  • John Kohnen
    Sep 29, 2012
      Boy! The fiberglass snapped clean right at the joint between the pegleg
      and the birdsmouth! I guess when I first saw photos of the break I thought
      you'd removed the fiberglass before taking the shot... I think I used two
      layers of 6 oz. cloth, just the regular stuff. Three layers of 12 oz.
      biaxial oughta work better. <g> I'm a little concerned that the three
      layers look like they're all right on top of each other at the joint. I
      think it'd be better to have put on a first wide layer, then a second
      narrower one, then a third one about as wide as what you did. That'd
      spread the stress transition out. Anyway, hope the fix works and you have
      some more fun before the monsoons start!

      On Sat, 29 Sep 2012 01:03:01 -0700, Mark A wrote:

      > Here's how things looked after the accident. There is birdsmouth
      > fairing around the outside of the lower plug. See how the glass was
      > snapped cleanly?
      > Just today I put the third coat on three layers of 12 oz. biaxial
      > tape, two at 45 45 straight round the joint, one spiral in between.

      John (jkohnen@...)
      A hypocrite is a person who -- but who isn't? (Don Marquis)
    • Show all 12 messages in this topic