68865Re: [bolger] Pegleg Mast

  • Douglas Pollard
    Sep 29, 2012
      I am setting here thinking through my probably flawed logic. It has
      always been my understanding that solid mast is not as strong as a
      larger one that is hollow. The thing being that they both weigh the
      same. Mr. Bolger told me that the mast compliments the lift on the sail
      by improving the shape of the sails leading edge. This may be true If
      you are using his figure eight lacing that allows the sail to revolve
      around the mast. So up to a point maybe the bigger diameter mast might
      be more efficient??? Epoxy and glass on the outside may well strengthen
      the mast if the weather is cool?? Epoxy softens in heat so I would not
      varnish the mast I would paint it white to reflect sunlight at least in
      the area of the splice. I built a mast for a 35 ft sail boat about 40
      years ago. It was rectangular in shape and I built it hollow from bottom
      to top with drip proof vents at the top and hollow all the way to the
      bottom so that air would be able to circulate up through it. I saw the
      boat a few years ago and she had been through several owners but still
      carried the same mast. I believe that fiberglassing a wooden mast is a
      mistake. I think a slightly larger mast that weighs the same as the
      fiberglassed one is stronger. All this is mostly my thinking and I am
      posting it only as speculation and food for thought. Doug

    • Show all 12 messages in this topic