68741Re: Good thing that pretty horse broke my leg, saved me from the Czar's army.

  • Mark Albanese
    Sep 6, 2012
      Yes, the upper section is a constant 3" for at least a foot and would work with a new heel. But it turns out easier finding a foot long drill bit than even a four inch holesaw. And I'm thinking 12 or 18 inches is better to spread the load. Using all-thread, the old piece is suitable.

      Today I filled the broken plug with T-88, which is thin enough to sink down to the bottom of the 3" shards, non shrinking and very strong.  A second, thickened plop was all it took to finish. The allthread can go as much as a foot on either side of the join, though I'm thinking 6 - 9" each way might be enough as long as it goes well past the top section's epoxy plug, since we're really relying on a biaxial tape wrapping for the outside.

      Guess I'll thread it all the way through. Won't be able to glue the rod, have to rely on the threads for some grip.
      Mark

      On Sep 6, 2012, at 5:30 PM, Rick Bedard wrote:

      Just some thoughts on a quick repair,

      Could you insert a long enough pipe into the mast section and toss the lower section away?

      Or scarf the two original pieces together as best you can, then router out a series of grooves deep as you can, overlapping the splice and inlay hardwood strips, staggering their lengths to avoid hardspots?

      Keep us posted on what you do choose to do.

      Rick