68728Re: Good thing that pretty horse broke my leg, saved me from the Czar's army.

  • Mark Albanese
    Sep 5, 2012
      John wrote of hearing creaking noises, then discovering a dime sized crack, which he shimmed and glassed. I found the crack between two strakes ( if you call them that in this constuction ) a quarter inch wide, expanding upwards, and filled it with T-88. The break is right where the two pieces butt, just half inch below the partners.

      I'd prefer using the two original pieces. Doing so depends on how far the shards in the very tapered foot can be bored out to accept firmly the metal insert that will register both parts. I'm looking for a large enough hole saw today. Plan B might be four studs around the still sound perimeter, plus lots of glass around it all.

      Glad to hear you've still got the AlleyCat in the works. Stay tuned.
      Mark

      On Sep 5, 2012, at 12:39 PM, Rick Bedard wrote:

      Hmmm, When I passed this mast on to John there was no fiberglass wrapping, just varnished doug fir. John must have had trouble? If so, I never heard about that.

      Just curious,

      Is it your intent to join the two pieces or attach a new bottom portion.?

      How long is the bottom section and where exactly did the mast snap in relation to the partners? Or was it at the cabin roof contact point?

      I got twin unstayed masts to build for my current build, a pilothouse catamaran motorsailer. I don't want to make the same mistake again... lol

      Rick