68215Re: Windsprint Mast/Sail Questions- Minor Noob Pickle

  • MPCOSG
    Jun 24, 2012
      Thanks David and Peter for those responses. Thanks Joe for the words on taper

      After, re-re-re-re-reading BTNIB (particularly in the chapter on wood) I noticed Mr Payson does speak of using local Maine spruce and wrote that he used it often. Doug fir are Sitka are mentioned, but it seems only in passing comments and possibly hard to come by for most. Local fir is mentioned, but as then I have a hard time finding it in 16ft lengths. He actually states in the chapter on building the Gypsy, "Pine, Spruce, Fir - they're all OK as is most anything that is reasonably free of large knots and poor grain." So that made me feel good.

      Also I noticed the taper for the Gypsy doesn't seem to be that far off from the taper of a Windsprint. My math is pretty horrible but I'm coming up with...
      2 1/8" at the base
      1.5' above that,tapered out to 2 1/2",
      At the masthead, I think tapered to 1 1/8"

      Thinking about 2 routes to go. One would be keeping the taper constant at 2.5" above 2'6".
      The second would be, from above 2'6" keeping it at 2 1/2" all the way up to about 10'. Then past 10ft to 15.5' I plan on a gentle taper to 2.0".

      Thanks, Matt

      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Joe T" <scsbmsjoe@...> wrote:

      > The mast taper can be determined by scaling from the drawing on page 81 in BTNIB. I suggest you do it with a metric ruler and a magnifying glass. I would keep it 3" up to 2'6" except for the taper at the bottom. For a solid mast you could leave the lower portion square then scale off the drawing every foot or two to determine the taper of the upper 14 feet. Lay out and cut the taper on four sides. Then use a jig to mark for 8 siding. You can leave it there or keep trimming with your plane and sand it round. Many options. You choose.
      > Note that the drawing states "Mast 16'6" overall - fir or harder." Your use of local spruce will be an interesting experiment. -
      >
      > Joe T

    • Show all 14 messages in this topic