68214Re: AS29 Philippines build

  • sandidgeneal
    Jun 23, 2012
      Week 3

      Removed the timber buttstrap from the lower side panels and scarfed up a 3 1/2" X 30' replacement from 3/4" ply. Erected the lower bulkheads. Sprung the two 1 1/2" X 1 1/2" chine log timbers around the pre-notched bulkheads. Installed side panels. Installed bow and stern transoms. Glued on the first layer of the ply bottom and about half the second layer.

      The project is now recognizable as a boat, as opposed to a pile of lumber! Some people have mistaken it for a speed boat. They asked Ronie what size engines we were going to use. He told them twin 250's.

      Neal

      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "sandidgeneal" <nsandidge@...> wrote:

      > Ronie erected the bulkheads today. Now I can really get an idea of the true size of this boat.
      >
      > We have a concrete floor in the shed, but it is in no way level. This was no problem for a clever Filipino. Ronie drew a centerline on the concrete then drew the bulkhead stations. He erected verticals, temporarily braced, at each station, then screwed the bulkheads to them. He used a 12 meter length of clear 3/8" hose as a level.
      >
      > Neal
      >
      > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "sandidgeneal" <nsandidge@> wrote:
      > >

      > > End of week two.
      > >
      > > Bulkheads have been framed and beveled. Chine log timbers scarfed. Screwed up the full length buttstraps, however. Made them of 3/4" X 3 1/2" luaun. After gluing them to the side panels, I realized that the grain was running in the same direction as the joint. I contacted my partner (boat, not life!), Juny Binamira, who is a pro builder and designer. He said of course the buttstrap can't have the grain running along the joint. I said Bolger's plan wasn't clear on this. He said Bolger was known for not suffering fools lightly. I said, hey, I think that's a hidden dig at me!
      > >
      > > Tomorrow will chisel off the luaun butt and make one out of 3/4" ply.
      > >
      > > Juny has found copper powder in Manila and we will make up our own copper epoxy for the bottom.
      > >
      > > Neal
      > > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "sandidgeneal" <nsandidge@> wrote:
      > > >

      > > > End of week one.
      > > >
      > > > It's Sunday and my builder Ronnie and and I took the day off to watch the Manny Pacquiao-Timothy Bradley fight at a local movie theater. Manny is a Philippine icon and he fought well, but, alas, there is no joy in Mudville tonight.
      > > >
      > > > After one week, we have concreted the shed floor, built a long bench for scarfing,etc., cut out the lower side panels, upper side panels and lower bulkheads, picked up some of the dimensional lumber that I am having sized from rough 3"X8"X14' kiln dried white luaun. We are preparing to scarf the full-length chine logs and buttstrap.
      > > >
      > > > Just ran into a snag that demonstrates the problems of building a boat in paradise. I was so fixated on the steel plate ballast bottom that I did not notice that I need about 70 1/4"X4" ss carriage bolts, washers and nuts. I contacted Specialized Bolt Center in Cebu and they said they could get them for me in 8 days. The price: $450 US! Went on-line and found them for about $45, so I will have to order them first thing tomorrow morning. Shipping may cause a bit of a delay, but, O well.
      > > >
      > > > Neal

    • Show all 19 messages in this topic