68213Re: Windsprint Mast/Sail Questions- Minor Noob Pickle

  • David
    Jun 21, 2012
      I agree completely.

      After 4 polytarp sails (Oldshoe, Nymph and Zephyr) I would definitely sew every time. I have some sails which I only part sewed and it shows...

      I am now using standard 3M or Tesa 1/2" double sided tape tape (as thin as possible) as I am only using it to hold tarp in place until sewn. I tried the more expensive water resistant tape but found that it was much more inclined to gum up the needle than the thin stuff.

      I use a standard Toyota sewing machine. It has a lot of fancy stitches but what I actually use is a zigzag with three stitches each way. This is slower than a standard zigzag but I find the machine is better capable of feeding the polytarp (with help) at a reasonably regular rate and I have never had a seam go.

      Re polytarp, I just bought white tarpaulin off a roll from a tarp shop. It comes on a 2m wide roll so the most I have had to join has been 2 panels lengthwise and in actual fact that join is quite short. The great advantage is that unlike a standard tarp the material had never been folded when I got it so it was easy to lay out and didn't need stretching.

      Best regards,

      David

      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Peter" <pvanderwaart@...> wrote:

      > > Lastly, for the moment, if I had access to a regular sewing machine,
      > > is it possible/advantageous/worth it to tape AND sew the the sail?
      >
      > Based on a sailmaking career comprising three polytarp sails, I would say yes. Tape is easy to use when assembling the sail and spreads the load. It also tends to creep, and stitching will stop that. I used an ordinary dressmaking-type machine. You need to plan ahead in order to get all the material through the limited space, but I don't imagine it's worse than a ball gown. The polytarp doesn't strain the machinery.
      >
      > Get advice about the thread. Any sewing ship or awning maker can save you from a mistake. I suppose the on-line sites can too. The only realy problem I had, aside from not knowing what I was doing, was that the needle got very sticky when stitching through the tape.

    • Show all 14 messages in this topic