68201Re: AS29 Philippines build

  • sandidgeneal
    Jun 17, 2012
      End of week two.

      Bulkheads have been framed and beveled. Chine log timbers scarfed. Screwed up the full length buttstraps, however. Made them of 3/4" X 3 1/2" luaun. After gluing them to the side panels, I realized that the grain was running in the same direction as the joint. I contacted my partner (boat, not life!), Juny Binamira, who is a pro builder and designer. He said of course the buttstrap can't have the grain running along the joint. I said Bolger's plan wasn't clear on this. He said Bolger was known for not suffering fools lightly. I said, hey, I think that's a hidden dig at me!

      Tomorrow will chisel off the luaun butt and make one out of 3/4" ply.

      Juny has found copper powder in Manila and we will make up our own copper epoxy for the bottom.

      Neal
      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "sandidgeneal" <nsandidge@...> wrote:

      > End of week one.
      >
      > It's Sunday and my builder Ronnie and and I took the day off to watch the Manny Pacquiao-Timothy Bradley fight at a local movie theater. Manny is a Philippine icon and he fought well, but, alas, there is no joy in Mudville tonight.
      >
      > After one week, we have concreted the shed floor, built a long bench for scarfing,etc., cut out the lower side panels, upper side panels and lower bulkheads, picked up some of the dimensional lumber that I am having sized from rough 3"X8"X14' kiln dried white luaun. We are preparing to scarf the full-length chine logs and buttstrap.
      >
      > Just ran into a snag that demonstrates the problems of building a boat in paradise. I was so fixated on the steel plate ballast bottom that I did not notice that I need about 70 1/4"X4" ss carriage bolts, washers and nuts. I contacted Specialized Bolt Center in Cebu and they said they could get them for me in 8 days. The price: $450 US! Went on-line and found them for about $45, so I will have to order them first thing tomorrow morning. Shipping may cause a bit of a delay, but, O well.
      >
      > Neal
      > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "sandidgeneal" <nsandidge@> wrote:
      > >
      > > June 4, 2012. Official starting date. Still pretty disorganized! Concreted the floor of the building shed, picked up my ply (55 sheets 1/2", $33/sheet), and arranged to have some kiln-dried luaun that I had previously bought for $1.60/board ft cut and finished to dimension. Now sitting by the pool drinking a cold San Miguel, thinking "what the hell did I get myself in to!"
      > >
      > > Neal

    • Show all 19 messages in this topic