68108Re: AS29 Philippines build

  • sandidgeneal
    Jun 10, 2012
      End of week one.

      It's Sunday and my builder Ronnie and and I took the day off to watch the Manny Pacquiao-Timothy Bradley fight at a local movie theater. Manny is a Philippine icon and he fought well, but, alas, there is no joy in Mudville tonight.

      After one week, we have concreted the shed floor, built a long bench for scarfing,etc., cut out the lower side panels, upper side panels and lower bulkheads, picked up some of the dimensional lumber that I am having sized from rough 3"X8"X14' kiln dried white luaun. We are preparing to scarf the full-length chine logs and buttstrap.

      Just ran into a snag that demonstrates the problems of building a boat in paradise. I was so fixated on the steel plate ballast bottom that I did not notice that I need about 70 1/4"X4" ss carriage bolts, washers and nuts. I contacted Specialized Bolt Center in Cebu and they said they could get them for me in 8 days. The price: $450 US! Went on-line and found them for about $45, so I will have to order them first thing tomorrow morning. Shipping may cause a bit of a delay, but, O well.

      Neal
      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "sandidgeneal" <nsandidge@...> wrote:

      > June 4, 2012. Official starting date. Still pretty disorganized! Concreted the floor of the building shed, picked up my ply (55 sheets 1/2", $33/sheet), and arranged to have some kiln-dried luaun that I had previously bought for $1.60/board ft cut and finished to dimension. Now sitting by the pool drinking a cold San Miguel, thinking "what the hell did I get myself in to!"
      >
      > Neal

    • Show all 19 messages in this topic