67921Re: Clear Coating alternatives

  • Eric
    May 22 6:19 AM
      I'll second the lack of satisfaction with Cetol. It has an ugly orange ting, even over black walnut, doesn't preserve itself or the wood against fungus, and does not hold up well. Cetol was the last thing I tried coating my toe rails and wooden cleats with. I started with Deks Ole and I may return. I am currently going through past posts looking for inspiration. At this point I am leaning toward Penetrol and Tung Oil. At least I won't have to sand it off. Thanks to all who posted their experiences.

      Eric

      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Douglas Pollard <dougpol1@...> wrote:

      > Holly cow Mason, I thought I was about the only person in the world that
      > used Tung oil any more. I like the looks off the finish above all
      > other. Doug
      >

      > On 03/01/2012 09:27 AM, Mason Smith wrote:
      > >
      > > I would vote against epoxy. Whatever you do, let moisture come and go
      > > with ambient conditions. Varnish will allow this. But if you want less
      > > maintenance, oil might be better. I don't know spotted gum and will
      > > not pretend to say what oil. I have been using tung oil of late, both
      > > pure and thinned. I have long used and liked Deks Olje. Have not used,
      > > and don't really like (what I've seen of it, on Drascombes) Cetol.
      > > ---Mason

    • Show all 29 messages in this topic