67828Re: [bolger] Re: Logical leap to multihulls? (was SketchUp Chebacco)

  • John Kohnen
    May 15, 2012
      Bolger's sharpies are actually pretty narrow, and depend on high freeboard
      and buoyancy up high for secondary stability. A narrow boat, even if
      flat-bottomed, will "give" a bit in waves -- the waterline won't quickly
      conform to the face of a wave, giving a more comfortable and safer ride in
      rough weather. This is completely opposite of the behavior of a fat
      flat-bottom boat, which will roll quickly to the angle of a wave, and will
      be more likely to be rolled over by a large wave. Multihulls are in effect
      very, very fat and have huge initial stability. They don't tip over
      easily, though the ride probably gets pretty rough, until they do...
      Multihulls have proven themselves seaworthy enough for most passages, so
      the choice between them and monohulls is largely personal preference, but
      Bolger's sharpies are really pretty far from multihulls and it's by no
      means a logical progression to get to multihulls from them.

      Modern ocean racers have gotten wider, shallower and squarer in section to
      carry lots of sail and plane along at phenomenal speeds, but this isn't a
      suitable trend to follow for pleasure boats, where comfort and
      seaworthiness should be most important. Increasing the beam of one of
      Bolger's sharpies would actually make it _less_ seaworthy. If one needs
      more room in a Bolger sharpie they should build a longer one.

      --
      John (jkohnen@...)
      A fool and his money are soon elected. (Will Rogers)