67782Re: Micro spars

  • Mark Albanese
    May 9, 2012
      A less expensive option suitable for a workboat finish might be a 'Boat Soup' made from equal parts linseed oil, pine tar and turps. Applied properly it dries well and is easily touched up.

      On May 9, 2012, at 7:12 AM, Paul wrote:

      Thanks Mason,

      does the deks olje ever rub off or stain the sails, or does it dry to a point where it's inert? I've begun to paint and finish my long-awaited Micro before my temporary boatshed's tarp finally photodegrades to nothing, and have been pondering options for finishing the spars. The thought of maintaining varnish on an unwieldy mast that's bound to get dinged up a lot (but also be very a visible part of the boat) has given me pause; this might be the solution I've been waiting for!

      Paul Lefebvre, world's slowest micro builder

      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Mason Smith" <masonsmith@...> wrote:

      > I'd say the answer is yes, you can oil
      > your spars this year and varnish them
      > later or keep oiling them. What oil?
      > That might be the real question. I have
      > long used Deks Olje and in fact am
      > putting it on my Micro spars, first
      > several soaking coats of Deks Olje # 1
      > and then several of Deks Olje #2, which
      > looks a lot like varnish and makes a
      > surface finish of pretty good gloss but
      > is more flexible, less likely to
      > separate from the wood, and easier to
      > maintain.
      >

      > My varnished spruce sprit-booms both got
      > black spots wherever the varnish was
      > dinged, and looked pretty sorry. I
      > rounded-over the corners more, exposing
      > bare wood of course, and treated this
      > exposed wood with Deks Olje 1 and 2,
      > going right over the varnish on the flat
      > sides with both. So I am running an
      > experiment, you might say, in mixing the
      > two kinds of finish: how do these oils
      > work on top of varnish? (I didn't want
      > to strip, you see!)
      >

      > Incidentally, Deks 1 is a very good
      > primer for varnish, and you can do the
      > whole Deks Olje system, 1 and 2, as I
      > have done on a 100 year old Rushton
      > lapstrake rowboat, and then varnish. I'd
      > venture to say that is a very good way
      > to go, the varnish then much less likely
      > to get broken through to the wood and
      > undermined by water penetration.
      >

      > What is Deks Olje? Good question. But
      > whatever it is, it is a good