67764Micro spars

  • Brian
    May 7 8:41 PM
      Hi again! I'm finally getting around to working on my Micro. It was stored outside under a tarp for almost two years and is 26 years old. Overall, it's in pretty good shape. Right now I just want to get it in the water for this season and then decide what to do with it in the fall (and the more I look at the design, the more I find to like).

      Anyway, I just stripped a whole lot of old varnish off the mainmast. Because I want to get sailing, I was wondering if oiling the wooden spars would be good for at least this one season. The mainmast is laminated from two 2x4's and a 1X4, but the rest are solid timber. If I oil them, will that make it difficult to varnish next year, or should I just paint everything? I'm going to paint the hull anyway, but I like the appearance of oiled wood.

      Keeping in mind the age and the fact that this is going to be a "workboat finish", any suggestions (including oils to try)?

      BTW, for various external reasons it's taken me awhile to become friends with this boat, but the more research I do, the more I'm convinced that this is a brilliant design! I only sailed it once, and I'm really looking forward to getting to learn it well.

      Thanks!
    • Show all 9 messages in this topic