67449Re: "Has an Advanced Sharpie the Buddha Nature?"

  • c.ruzer
    Mar 8, 2012
      Yep, ok, mea culpa. Jim Melcher canted the mast a bit, chopped and added to the head panel(s), and truly did convert to junk rig.

      In "A brief history of Alert", JRA Newsletter #44, June 2005, page 31, Jim Melcher wrote:

      "..At last now based in Brunswick, Maine,I changed the rig to a junk. You'll note the yellow cloth section in the peak where we needed to gain area from the old gaff sail. My wife Diane and I did the upgrade with the hand-crank Read's sewing machine in our Brunswick back yard. For battens we used epoxy pipe recommended by Tom Colvin.

      This season we'll be refining the rig as we explore the coast of Maine and Nova Scotia..."

      I guess he got a few seasons sailing after 2006, and have to wonder how his rig refining went?