67412Re: [bolger] Re: Clear Coating alternatives

  • Douglas Pollard
    Mar 5, 2012
      I have part of a five gallon can of it that I bought years ago.  I don't think I have ever read the label. All I know is most of us with old wooden boats have been using it as far back as I can remember. My father used it.  It's been used as a finish with sometimes varnish added ,tung oil ,linseed oil. We used to mix pine tar with it to preseve wood.  Many Work boats had their spars finished with pine tar and linseed oil mixed and others used Penetrol. I have always used it in paint. WE used to buy cheap oilbased house paint and mix Penatrol with it and it worked and held up as good as the best marine finished for little money.  I guess I use it out of habbit now.
          I likely have enough left to last my lifetime so I guess I will continue to use it. With the hazmat laws being what they are, it may be too expensive now days?                       Doug

      On 03/05/2012 09:27 AM, mkriley48 wrote:

      yes

      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Andrew" <a.c.l.yen@...> wrote:

      > I have a can of Penetrol (made by Flood) but it doesn't mention anything about it being a treatment in it's own right. The can talks about mixing it with oil based paint to make it stick to anything, or about painting it on rusty steel to make paint stick. Is this the same stuff?
      >
      > Andrew
      >
      > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Douglas Pollard <dougpol1@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Penitrol is good stuff. <snip>

    • Show all 29 messages in this topic