67259Re: Scaled-down Single-handed Schooner

  • efemiket
    Jan 17, 2012
      Hi Laszlo & all,

      I clocked a little over 6 mph on the gps on one of my first sails with the SHS, in about 12 knots of wind, reaching. I had a 220 lb friend in the hold at the time, so it should do better with a lighter load :^) I haven't bothered with the gps recently though.

      I have never hiked out. I also haven't been out in strong wind but I would reef or drop the jib before resorting to hiking out. SHS was designed with the idea that you sit on the bottom of the boat thereby providing human ballast as low in the hull as possible. Seems to work pretty well, particularly for really lazy sailors like me.

      You get used to the heeling and it does stiffen up a lot once it is heeled over a certain amount. It would take a lot I think to knock it down.

      You are right I should get busy and update the blog with some sailing pictures and stuff. I did mention the lazy gene earlier though...

    • Show all 22 messages in this topic