67248Re: Scaled-down Single-handed Schooner

  • lboatman@ymail.com
    Jan 10, 2012
      Mike,

      Thanks for the heads-up on the sailing characteristics. That will be
      very reassuring to have in the back of my mind when it starts to heel on
      the maiden voyage. It's interesting that in all the photos I've found on
      the web and in print that Susan's boat is always vertical and Tony's is
      always heeled. He's also mostly hiked out. I'm really looking forward to
      trying it out on the water now. BTW, what kind of speeds have you you
      gotten?

      Xynole - you're a better man than I am, Gunga Din. Now that you've had
      it a while, was the Xynole worth it? My thought was since it can't be
      launched off a beach that the bottom would be pretty safe. I expect that
      the keel and rudder would take all the impacts long before the bottom.
      I'm actually more worried about the bow, stern and sides smashing into
      pilings and other boats.

      One day when you have the time and inclination, it'd be fun if you added
      a post-launch section to your blog. Maybe some pictures under sail,
      observations about the sailing characteristics and lessons learned.
      You'd definitely have an audience.

      Have fun,

      Laszlo

      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "efemiket" <mthompson0900@...> wrote:

      > A couple of notes from my experience of building SHS which might be of
      general interest (already emailed you offline):

      > I share your horror of metal fasteners in wooden boats. The only metal
      fasteners used on my SHS are the bronze screws in the daggerboard which
      give the lead something to cling to, and some bronze screws reinforcing
      the cockpit and hold coamings. Everything else is just thickened epoxy
      glue, reinforced on the exterior of the hull with Xynole cloth
      (Kevlar-like, very tough and a lot more work to get filled nicely with
      resin - probably takes twice as much resin to get a smooth filled
      surface). The interior lumber and bulkheads were all just glued to the
      planks and bottom. I used 1 inch drywall screws to hold things in place
      until the glue cured, then removed them afterward. Everything is holding
      up well so far.

      > Like Susan Davis I upped the 100 lbs of lead to about 150, so that the
      daggerboard probably weighs about 180 lbs all in. This makes it a real
      pig to manhandle when launching and hauling out. Unless you're built
      like Tarzan it's a two-person operation to raise or lower this thing.
      Bolger says it sails 'on its ear' as designed. It is certainly more
      stable with the extra weight, but it is still sails on its ear in any
      kind of breeze - it stiffens up a lot after heeling well over, but you
      have to get used to it. I get concerned looks from my passengers in the
      hold sometimes, hehe. Having a smaller boat with a lighter daggerboard
      will make everything that much easier getting in and out of the water.

      > Mike
    • Show all 22 messages in this topic