67201Re: Micro Construction

  • prairiedog2332
    Dec 27, 2011

      I recall a thread on another group involving going off-shore in a Micro or Long Micro and one member gave PCB&F a call for their thoughts. Their main concerns involved having the power to claw off a lee shore in a blow.

      Micro's 12' waterline length is an issue in that regard. They mentioned a jump over to Nova Scotia from the mainline would be doable but any longer than that the LM would be the preferred hull. They recommended a 9.9 high thrust Yamaha as being the motor of choice, being very dependable, quiet and only needing to run it at about 1/3 throttle and partly because it also has a fairly good alternator to keep your nav and communication systems fully charged up.

      Tohatsu now has a 6 HP high thrust that might be an option, but is only 1 cylinder (Less torque, more vibration.) than thed 2 cylinder 9.8's.

      http://www.outboard-engine.com/enginespecs.php?recordID=177

      Nels

      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, steve statkus <stevestatkus@...> wrote:

      > Bill,
      >
      > Thanks for the input. I've never owned an outboard but I do fly a 65 hp
      > Aeronca and understand the limitations of low hp. My first thought was
      > that it was on the low end but around my home in SW Ohio we have only man
      > made lakes, excluding the Ohio river. I'll keep you posted.
      >
      > Steve
      >
      > On Fri, Dec 23, 2011 at 8:39 PM, William kingw@... wrote:
      >
      > > **
      > >

      > > Steve,
      > > A 2hp outboard is a bit small, but it depends where you sail. How far to
      > > the dock, mooring, or ramp? Are the waters protected? Tides? What happens
      > > if you get caught out in a sudden blow, or the wind dies? People have
      > > powered their M's and LM's with a yuloh, sweeps/oars, oatboards, and (I
      > > suspect) electric OBs. I think a 2hp would suffice at first, and if you
      > > discover the need for more power, you can upgrade.
      > > Bill, in Texas
      > >

      > > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, steve statkus stevestatkus@ wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Bill,
      > > >
      > > > Thanks for the info. Still waiting for my LM plans and I've started on a
      > > 1
      > > > in. = 1 ft. model of the Micro from the plans I have. Scale models help
      > > me
      > > > understand the ergonomics of things I'll be moving about within.
      > > > I've run across a fellow in FL who has a Micro for sale. My wife and I
      > > > will be in FL this Feb. so I've made arrangements to look at his boat.
      > > > I'll be taking a tow hitch and check book just in case.
      > > > What do you think about a 2 hp outboard? Too small?
      > > > My thinking is turning to day sailing with the wife and if I want to
      > > > overnight it'll probably be just me, at least after the first time. She's
      > > > pretty adventurous but she does have her standards.
      > > > I'll keep you posted.
      > > >
      > > > Steve

    • Show all 28 messages in this topic