    From: bolger@yahoogroups.com [mailto:bolger@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of
    prairiedog2332
    Sent: Thursday, December 01, 2011 8:42 AM
    To: bolger@yahoogroups.com
    Subject: [bolger] Re: Seabird 86

    Yes, Mr. Bolger mentioned it was "tiddly at anchor":-)
    Looking at the drawings on page 254 of BWAM one can visualize why it might
    seem cramped. When the berths are rigged there is no space to access the
    table and even get to the WC. And they have to be stowed to get access to
    the table and the cooking arrangement with is rather awkward as it all
    slides under the cockpit. This boat does fall under the "bed and brakfast"
    section of the book though.
    The large bilge panels rob a lot of potential storage and living space, but
    of course add to it's seaworthiness. A compromise between it and LM might be
    the Michalak Picara with narrower bilge panels?
    http://www.duckworksbbs.com/plans/jim/picara/index.htm
    But Jim makes himself clear that he does not design off-shore boats. Picara
    might be close.
    Nels

    --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Peter" <pvanderwaart@...> wrote:

    > PCB wrote somewhere that he had gotten a sail on a Seabird '86. (This was
    before the very nice German boat, so at least two were built.) He said it
    was initially tender as might be expected from the narrow waterline, but
    sailed in a satisfactory manner.

    > You have to put his remarks in context. He had drawn it thinking in terms
    of motorsailer, so he wouldn't have expected J-24 performance, and he'd
    hardly have written that the boat was a dog and to be avoided in any case.
    On the other hand, he and Suzanne put a lot of work into the sloop and
    Navigator versions later, so he must have thought it was pretty decent. And
    he certainly would not have gone for the Navigator if he thought it couldn't
    carry the weight.

    > Seabird '86 strikes me as a cruising version of Chebacco. The hull forms
    are similar, and they both have the very practical OB well. The ballast keel
    of Seabird makes her more forgiving of a helmsman's inattention in a breeze.
    PCB tried to be clever about storage for gear and duffle. Any 22-footer is
    cramped inside, especially after a couple days of rain.

    > Seabird makes an interesting contrast to Long Micro. The interior of LM
    takes advantage of the boxy shape where SB loses volume where the LM has the
    chine. LM might be faster is a lot of conditions (I gather the rig is
    generous), but much more jarring than SB.

    No virus found in this message.