67156Re: [bolger] Re: Seabird 86

  • mike graf
    Dec 1, 2011
      bolger also mentioned the original photos of Seabird yawl showed her
      overloaded. Often the case in small passage makers. Overload the 86 and
      she'd put her chines in the water stiffen up and handle any sea. She
      would not exceed her hull-speed. I could see the long micro well
      exceeding her hull-speed. comfort vs speed

      prairiedog2332 wrote:

      > Yes, Mr. Bolger mentioned it was "tiddly at anchor":-)
      >
      > Looking at the drawings on page 254 of BWAM one can visualize why it
      > might seem cramped. When the berths are rigged there is no space to
      > access the table and even get to the WC. And they have to be stowed to
      > get access to the table and the cooking arrangement with is rather
      > awkward as it all slides under the cockpit. This boat does fall under
      > the "bed and brakfast" section of the book though.
      >
      > The large bilge panels rob a lot of potential storage and living
      > space, but of course add to it's seaworthiness. A compromise between
      > it and LM might be the Michalak Picara with narrower bilge panels?
      >
      > http://www.duckworksbbs.com/plans/jim/picara/index.htm
      >
      > But Jim makes himself clear that he does not design off-shore boats.
      > Picara might be close.
      >
      > Nels
      >

      > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Peter" <pvanderwaart@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > PCB wrote somewhere that he had gotten a sail on a Seabird '86.
      > (This was before the very nice German boat, so at least two were
      > built.) He said it was initially tender as might be expected from the
      > narrow waterline, but sailed in a satisfactory manner.
      > >
      > > You have to put his remarks in context. He had drawn it thinking in
      > terms of motorsailer, so he wouldn't have expected J-24 performance,
      > and he'd hardly have written that the boat was a dog and to be avoided
      > in any case. On the other hand, he and Suzanne put a lot of work into
      > the sloop and Navigator versions later, so he must have thought it was
      > pretty decent. And he certainly would not have gone for the Navigator
      > if he thought it couldn't carry the weight.
      > >
      > > Seabird '86 strikes me as a cruising version of Chebacco. The hull
      > forms are similar, and they both have the very practical OB well. The
      > ballast keel of Seabird makes her more forgiving of a helmsman's
      > inattention in a breeze. PCB tried to be clever about storage for gear
      > and duffle. Any 22-footer is cramped inside, especially after a couple
      > days of rain.
      > >
      > > Seabird makes an interesting contrast to Long Micro. The interior of
      > LM takes advantage of the boxy shape where SB loses volume where the
      > LM has the chine. LM might be faster is a lot of conditions (I gather
      > the rig is generous), but much more jarring than SB.

    • Show all 8 messages in this topic