67155Re: Seabird 86

  • prairiedog2332
    Dec 1, 2011

      Yes, Mr. Bolger mentioned it was "tiddly at anchor":-)

      Looking at the drawings on page 254 of BWAM one can visualize why it might seem cramped. When the berths are rigged there is no space to access the table and even get to the WC. And they have to be stowed to get access to the table and the cooking arrangement with is rather awkward as it all slides under the cockpit. This boat does fall under the "bed and brakfast" section of the book though.

      The large bilge panels rob a lot of potential storage and living space, but of course add to it's seaworthiness. A compromise between it and LM might be the Michalak Picara with narrower bilge panels?

      http://www.duckworksbbs.com/plans/jim/picara/index.htm

      But Jim makes himself clear that he does not design off-shore boats. Picara might be close.

      Nels

      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Peter" <pvanderwaart@...> wrote:

      > PCB wrote somewhere that he had gotten a sail on a Seabird '86. (This was before the very nice German boat, so at least two were built.) He said it was initially tender as might be expected from the narrow waterline, but sailed in a satisfactory manner.
      >
      > You have to put his remarks in context. He had drawn it thinking in terms of motorsailer, so he wouldn't have expected J-24 performance, and he'd hardly have written that the boat was a dog and to be avoided in any case. On the other hand, he and Suzanne put a lot of work into the sloop and Navigator versions later, so he must have thought it was pretty decent. And he certainly would not have gone for the Navigator if he thought it couldn't carry the weight.
      >
      > Seabird '86 strikes me as a cruising version of Chebacco. The hull forms are similar, and they both have the very practical OB well. The ballast keel of Seabird makes her more forgiving of a helmsman's inattention in a breeze. PCB tried to be clever about storage for gear and duffle. Any 22-footer is cramped inside, especially after a couple days of rain.
      >
      > Seabird makes an interesting contrast to Long Micro. The interior of LM takes advantage of the boxy shape where SB loses volume where the LM has the chine. LM might be faster is a lot of conditions (I gather the rig is generous), but much more jarring than SB.

    • Show all 8 messages in this topic