67021Re: Long Term Immersion of Micro-series Salient Keels

  • c.ruzer
    Oct 10, 2011

      > On Sat, Oct 1, 2011 at 7:18 PM, c.ruzer <c.ruzer@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > What might be some alternate construction methods/treatments of keels such as those on the Micro...
      >

      > Considering that I have never heard of an example of the "per plans"
      > Micro failing, the flip side of this question is:

      It's not failure in the first instance, but down the track. Quite a few have been given the chop due to rot. Some didn't last long at all. If the keel is almost always immersed in salt water, ie. untrailered, then perhaps that alone may be sufficient to prevent the dastardly rot.

      As for other sticky encounters with marine biota, maybe rot too, how about sheathing the keel with copper sheet nailed on? But how, without interfering with any glass sheathing?
    • Show all 20 messages in this topic