67012Re: Long Term Immersion of Micro-series Salient Keels

  • c.ruzer
    Oct 10 5:12 AM
      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "alefoot" <dgw@...> wrote:
      > Although it seems many Micros are used as trailer boats, I don't recall brief immersion being mentioned as part of the original design spec.

      The Wolfard ad is suggestive of intermitent immersed recreation time use: "She is easy to trailer and can be pulled by a four cylinder compact car." I recall something also La Rowe wrote about commisioning the design and requesting an easy launch and retrieval amongst the other things for older folk.

      > Maybe my poor memory. Anyway, I recall PCB writing that the idea was to avoid unhelpful swelling stresses and unwarranted expense. Our Micro has happily spent months [entire summers] on a mooring, built
      > more or less to spec.

      That's good to hear.

      > Liberal epoxy coating of the inside of the flooded cavities before closure, exterior glassing below waterline. Doug. fir and Meranti
      > marine ply. I would do the same again. Micro is well proven.

      Again good to hear that.

      I've come across Swallow Boats 'Bayrider 17' instructions for the water ballast tank internal surfaces before permanent closing up. They apparently call for two additional coats of some WEST System (I assume all ply surfaces already have one coat) followed by two pack epoxy paint suited for continuous immersion.

      Is such a two pack paint step really needed, I wonder. Extra insurance?

      > >...Was Peter's more for perceived increase in strength/durability than to do with continuous immersion? To fill or not to fill?<
      > You would have to ask Peter for a real answer [he's active on the WoodenBoat forum], but I recall him writing something [I'm paraphrasing] about wanting to do things the 'right way' when he built Lestat.

      Speak a the devil... look who's dropped by.
    • Show all 20 messages in this topic