67006Re: [bolger] Book price chuckle

  • John Kohnen
    Oct 9, 2011
      Reminds me of my $1,000 book. I never tire of telling the story, and
      welcome any excuse to trot it out. <g> A while ago the eagerly awaited
      "The Encyclopedia of Yacht Designers" by Lucia Del Sol Knight and Daniel
      Bruce MacNaughton was finally printed. Unfortunately, they decided to go
      for high-end production quality, and a price that ensured that it'd sell
      mainly to institutions -- $250. :o( I've never paid $250 for a book. A few
      years had passed, so I went looking on ABE for a used copy. There at the
      end of a list of used ones starting at about $180 was a "New. Flawless
      copy, brand new, pristine, never opened" copy for 981.08 plus $1.99
      shipping!! A day or two later I was on Amazon.com and looked for the book
      just for the heck of it. They had some "New. Flawless copy, brand new,
      pristine, never opened" ones for $163.84 with FREE Super Saver Shipping! I
      snatched one up. For a while after I got it I was afraid to open the
      shrink wrap and destroy the value of my "$1,000 book". ;o)

      http://preview.tinyurl.com/43shs24

      --
      John (jkohnen@...)
      Nobody ought to wear a Greek fisherman's hat unless they meet