66954Re: [bolger] Re: Long Term Immersion of Micro-series Salient Keels

  • mike graf
    Oct 4, 2011
      I'd Like to have a LM at a dock!

      it's so easy to repair a ply boat......cut out the rot, make a plug,
      make a larger backing plate, gube it all up w/epoxy and screw it all
      together....better technique reaps better finish

      That Micro keel is a typical Bolger jab @ traditional construction...1/4
      in ply for a keel! It's Bolger it works
      Mike in Catskills

      William wrote:
      > For the past three years I have kept my LM at a dock for approximately
      > 6 months each year. I have not seen rot in the flooding keel. I did
      > just cut a chunk of rot from the side of my LM, at the water-line near
      > the aft, free-flooding well. But so far the keel is as solid as the
      > day I made it.
      > Bill, in Tejas
      > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com <mailto:bolger%40yahoogroups.com>,
      > BruceHallman <hallman@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > On Sat, Oct 1, 2011 at 7:18 PM, c.ruzer <c.ruzer@...> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > What might be some alternate construction methods/treatments of
      > keels such as those on the Micro...
      > >

      > > Considering that I have never heard of an example of the "per plans"
      > > Micro failing, the flip side of this question is:
      > >
      > > Is there any reason to attempt to improve the Micro?
      > >
      > > Making things that are good enough to be 'better' (and more costly)
      > > isn't always wise.
      > >
      > > Isn't good enough good enough?

    • Show all 20 messages in this topic