66952Re: Long Term Immersion of Micro-series Salient Keels

  • jdmeddock
    Oct 3 5:12 PM
      If a little added depth would be acceptable I think a Micro would be a good candidate for a concrete keel. You could cast the scrap lead in the bottom of the keel
      (plombo-cement?!) but that would make recovery of the lead difficult in case of failure.
      But it would solve the much dreaded lead melting problem.
      Maybe a rebar/concrete keel to planned size with the lead bolted on as a shoe to optimize righting moment. Could maybe get by with less lead weight too.
      Build a cheap stuff keel sort of to plan and that is your form (in order to match curve of bottom accurately). Just use the Lenihan keelson , and cast your keel and shoe bolts in the concrete.

      I am assuming long-term afloat suggests trailering weight may be of reduced importantance.

      > On Sat, Oct 1, 2011 at 7:18 PM, c.ruzer <c.ruzer@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > What might be some alternate construction methods/treatments of keels such as those on the Micro...
      > Considering that I have never heard of an example of the "per plans"
      > Micro failing, the flip side of this question is:
      > Is there any reason to attempt to improve the Micro?
      > Making things that are good enough to be 'better' (and more costly)
      > isn't always wise.
      > Isn't good enough good enough?
    • Show all 20 messages in this topic