66942Re: Long Term Immersion of Micro-series Salient Keels

  • alefoot
    Oct 2, 2011
      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "c.ruzer" <c.ruzer@...> wrote:
      > What might be some alternate construction methods/treatments of keels such as those on the Micro and Long Micro if they aren't only immersed periodically for relatively short durations?<

      Although it seems many Micros are used as trailer boats, I don't recall brief immersion being mentioned as part of the original design spec. Maybe my poor memory. Anyway, I recall PCB writing that the idea was to avoid unhelpful swelling stresses and unwarranted expense. Our Micro has happily spent months [entire summers] on a mooring, built more or less to spec. Liberal epoxy coating of the inside of the flooded cavities before closure, exterior glassing below waterline. Doug. fir and Meranti marine ply. I would do the same again. Micro is well proven.

      >...Was Peter's more for perceived increase in strength/durability than to do with continuous immersion? To fill or not to fill?<

      You would have to ask Peter for a real answer [he's active on the WoodenBoat forum], but I recall him writing something [I'm paraphrasing] about wanting to do things the 'right way' when he built Lestat.
    • Show all 20 messages in this topic