66657Re: Cartopper sailboat

  • prairiedog2332
    Aug 8, 2011
      I don't quite fathom why somebody would pay $40 or more for boat plans
      and then turn the design into something the designer never intended. Why
      not just design you own?

      BTW Dynamite has devoted 50 or so pages in his final build book to
      building a Cartopper, including a model. Great detailed photos and
      diagrams and instructions.

      He also shows the plans for several other Bolger designs. I am
      particularly struck by Catfish as that bow shape reminds me so much of
      the big wood and canvas freighter canoes I often saw when working up
      north in Canada. They sure cut a pretty picture in dark green with a
      nice white bow wave in sunlit water.

      Wonder how it would look with a slightly taller raised deckhouse with
      slot top opening, something like the Chebacco (sheet version type 2)?
      Only smaller and lighter and no centerboard to be concerned with. Tent
      over the slot to sleep inside. Or maybe just built open to the gunnels,
      like a big freighter canoe and have a bolt-on "truck cap" as an option?
      Just like Supermouse.

      It would be kind of a more traditional looking version of Camper 640
      but having a 2 -4 hp 4-stroke instead of a double rowing station, for
      lazy people like myself. On the open lakes one could sail and then motor
      on the quiet stretches. Many of the portages up in northern Saskatchewan
      now have timber skidways to allow motorboats to be skidded over the
      portage. Not sure if the shallow keel of Catfish would make it too
      awkward, but it sure would look nice out on the water!

      Nels

      Nels

      > Just so. I put the leeboard at the widest part of the beam where it
      > belongs. The sail's CE relationship to the board is the result.
      >
      > On Aug 8, 2011, at 3:35 AM, John Huft wrote:
      >
      > > I think you have the lee board too far aft. All of Michalak's
      > > designs have the CE lining up just forward of the aft edge of the
      > > lee board.
      > > John Boy
      > >

      > > Happy sails to you, until we sail again
      > > Happy sails to you, keep sailing until then...

    • Show all 36 messages in this topic