66645Re: CarTopper Sailboat

  • Monies
    Aug 7, 2011
      We carry Mike's CarTopper in back of full sized pickup. It sticks out of course.

      It has a salty look to it and is a most attractive boat. I can understand why Mike was drawn to build it. We got our plans from Payson of course.

      Mike suggested a Michalak Piccup which is actually a bit longer and can be carried with a car. If I am not mistaken our friend Stan Roberts cartops his Piccup, as do several others we know of.

      Jackie Monies (for Mike)

      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "prairiedog2332" <arvent@...> wrote:

      > I stopped in and visited Dynamite Payson one time and he had three
      > Cartoppers he had built for customers. One thing I will never forget was
      > the quality of his work and level of finish. I bought a set of plans but
      > realized later that it was not very "cartoppable" if your car is a full
      > sized van!
      >
      > http://instantboats.com/cartopper.htm
      >
      > It looks great on the small car as shown but it's short length and
      > pronounced sheer means it won't load or fit very easily on the roof of
      > a longer vehicle. Will fit in the back of a full-sized pickup probably.
      >
      > The narrow bottom panel is only 22 inches wide at the widest spot and 10
      > ft. long which makes for initially tender hull as the Monies mention. It
      > also does not row well with 2 people as Mr. Bolger mentions in his
      > article in BWAOM.
      >
      > Ideal for one person or with a couple of small kids. Otherwise I would
      > prefer the Woobo as mentioned previously. Wider, longer bottom panel,
      > holds two adults easily and has a large flotation/stowage chamber at
      > each end. But needs a trailer - which is not necesarily a bad thing - as
      > you can carry all the equipment there, including motor and fuel and is
      > easier and quicker to launch and retreive alone if one has access to a
      > launching ramp.
      >
      > Nels
      >

      > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Monies" <m_monies@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Mike Monies sailed "The Noble Plan" his Bolger Cartopper sailboat in
      > the Texas 200 in 2009. The first 150 miles was with the Bolger leg of
      > mutton sail, the last 150 was with an improvised mast and sail after he
      > was dismasted in a capsize in Corpus Christi Bay.
      > >
      > > You can read Mike's adventures in Duckworks magazine, as well as in
      > Small Craft Advisor magazine, for the Texas 200 adventures.
      > >
      > > Mike built his Cartopper exactly to plans with the exception of adding
      > additional flotation under the floorboards. Which wasn't enough! He says
      > now he would add more flotation in bow and stern as well. We still own
      > and sail this little boat but he doesn't intend to modify it. Or sail
      > it in Texas 200 again!
      > >
      > > This is a tender boat, subject to easy capsize actually. It is a
      > lovely graceful hull and the "Noble Plan" is one of the prettiest small
      > boats Mike has built.
      > >
      > > Having said that, don't start messing with moving centerboards,
      > putting lee boards on her, that is all major stuff that is going to
      > change how she sails and performs. Just build her according to plans.
      > >
      > > Best- Jackie Monies
      > > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SailOklahoma/

    • Show all 5 messages in this topic