66644Re: CarTopper Sailboat

  • prairiedog2332
    Aug 7, 2011
      I stopped in and visited Dynamite Payson one time and he had three
      Cartoppers he had built for customers. One thing I will never forget was
      the quality of his work and level of finish. I bought a set of plans but
      realized later that it was not very "cartoppable" if your car is a full
      sized van!

      http://instantboats.com/cartopper.htm

      It looks great on the small car as shown but it's short length and
      pronounced sheer means it won't load or fit very easily on the roof of
      a longer vehicle. Will fit in the back of a full-sized pickup probably.

      The narrow bottom panel is only 22 inches wide at the widest spot and 10
      ft. long which makes for initially tender hull as the Monies mention. It
      also does not row well with 2 people as Mr. Bolger mentions in his
      article in BWAOM.

      Ideal for one person or with a couple of small kids. Otherwise I would
      prefer the Woobo as mentioned previously. Wider, longer bottom panel,
      holds two adults easily and has a large flotation/stowage chamber at
      each end. But needs a trailer - which is not necesarily a bad thing - as
      you can carry all the equipment there, including motor and fuel and is
      easier and quicker to launch and retreive alone if one has access to a
      launching ramp.

      Nels

      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Monies" <m_monies@...> wrote:

      > Mike Monies sailed "The Noble Plan" his Bolger Cartopper sailboat in
      the Texas 200 in 2009. The first 150 miles was with the Bolger leg of
      mutton sail, the last 150 was with an improvised mast and sail after he
      was dismasted in a capsize in Corpus Christi Bay.

      > You can read Mike's adventures in Duckworks magazine, as well as in
      Small Craft Advisor magazine, for the Texas 200 adventures.

      > Mike built his Cartopper exactly to plans with the exception of adding
      additional flotation under the floorboards. Which wasn't enough! He says
      now he would add more flotation in bow and stern as well. We still own
      and sail this little boat but he doesn't intend to modify it. Or sail
      it in Texas 200 again!

      > This is a tender boat, subject to easy capsize actually. It is a
      lovely graceful hull and the "Noble Plan" is one of the prettiest small
      boats Mike has built.

      > Having said that, don't start messing with moving centerboards,
      putting lee boards on her, that is all major stuff that is going to
      change how she sails and performs. Just build her according to plans.

      > Best- Jackie Monies
      > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SailOklahoma/

    • Show all 5 messages in this topic