66599Re: Oldshoe Review!

  • Gregory
    Aug 2 6:32 AM
      A broach is when a boat turns suddenly. The classic broach happens on a broach reach or downwind, with lots of canvas and the skipper perhaps underestimating wind speed. The weather helm - due to the turning moment of the wide-set sail - overwhelms the rudder, especially if it ventilates and/or stalls due to high angle of attack and you are spun into beam reach with too much sail. Spinnakers are also very helpful in the upcoming capsize since they'll roll downwind.

      To be fair to the Old Shoe, you can broach any boat. Obviously the bigger and heavier the more extreme the conditions (and poorer seamanship) required. Your tiller angle is a really good indicator of things to come.

      All small boats can capsize, but the blunt bow and short rudder are certainly not going to be helpful in a hard-pressed Old Shoe. A thump on the bow at the wrong moment is going to be helpful in lifting the rudder for ventilation - and off you go.

      I was able to capsize my Micro in a big puff, but I don't think the bluff bow is a big problem for any of the square boats, and probably none at all for the heavy ones. The rudder is the issue, but these designs do a great job drawing next to no water, and you can't have it both ways.

      It's really not a design fault or a problem except to those that also believe a 12-passenger van ought to beat a Veyron around a race track.

      Gregg

      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "daschultz2000" <daschultz8275@...> wrote:

      > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, BruceHallman <hallman@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Fascinating, two reports of capsized Old Shoes?! Wow.
      > >

      > The other one that I read about made it clear the flat bow struck the next wave, and the boat immediately broached. Something one will need to avoid with that design. Perhaps the Old Shoe, because of its length/beam and even the mizzen is prone to that behavior even in a coastal situation. And perhaps the whole family of flat bowed ASxx's can demonstrate that behavior if they are in just the right situation for a particular hull.
      >
      > But if that were so, it seems like the Micro at least would have a reputation for the behavior by now since there are many of them.

    • Show all 24 messages in this topic