66467Re: Alternative Sail Plan for Micro

  • prairiedog2332
    Jun 30 7:05 PM
      Hi Myles,

      I would be very interested in more details in what you wrote here:

      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Myles J. Swift" <mswift@...> wrote:
      > After a couple of seasons of reefing by moving the boom to the upper
      clew
      > and lots of banging I changed to bottom up reefing. No lines get
      moved.
      > Slack the downhaul, drop the main enough, pull the reefing line (like
      slab
      > type jiffy reefing except bottom up instead of along the mast) tie the
      upper
      > clew to the boom, retension the halyard and downhaul, two or three
      minutes
      > and you are done, at old guy speeds.

      Reefing line? Downhaul? Are you still talking about the original sail
      plan on Micro or another variation?

      > Maybe a solution is to make or have someone make a lightweight mast.
      Someone
      > said they built a 22 pound coopered mast.

      That was me suggested that and it was made birdsmouth technique. I am
      still considering that option which was made from clear fir or maybe
      trying carbon fiber instead. Even if going with a tabernacle as one gets
      really old:-)

      One can increase sail area a bit by using battens as Bolger did on the
      Birdwatcher solent rig option. However I just don't "get" the advantage
      of adding a relatively long yard in order to get a somewhat shorter
      mast.

      Nels
    • Show all 35 messages in this topic