      From: Eric <eric14850@...>
      Subject: [bolger] Re: AS29 Bilgeboard Case Problem
      To: bolger@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Wednesday, May 11, 2011, 10:40 PM

      Amen, to what Bruce says. Use the saw. After that, if it was me: Epoxy, filler, fiberglass, and roughly feathered plywood edges and meeting surfaces to have an 8:1 or 12:1 scarf is easy and quick to put the boat back together. Fair and paint. Bruce's weekend estimate is certainly doable by him and probably by some of us mere mortals. I'd finish opening the trunks by carefully cutting up to the edge of the trunk and then fairing the hull to a feather edge at the inside of the trunk. repair board with its edges faired to fit the hull placed over this to rebuild the hull side.

      If I did a more extensive repair than this I would rebuild the whole affair so that a few machine bolts could be removed to remove the outside of the trunk to easily maintain or repair the inside of the trunk.

      > On Tue, May 10, 2011 at 10:10 AM, freshairfiend <freshairfiend@...> wrote:
      >
      > >the brain trust here can suggest a way to do it without tearing out the sides of the hull.
      >
      > I recall, I think, one other instance of needing to re-access the
      > swinging board cases on an AS-29.
      >
      > To me, using a saw to temporarily remove the sides of the hull seems
      > to be an elegant way to gain that access for maintenance.
      >
      > Trying to fix it any other way seems much more difficult. When you
      > are done with the maintenance, screw the plywood back in place, patch
      > with epoxy and glass tape, fairing compound and paint. I'd guess it
      > could be done in one weekend. The water-tight envelope for the hull
      > is the inside face of those board wells, so temporarily cutting away
      > the outside faces doesn't seem such a big deal.

    • Show all 13 messages in this topic