65990Re: Chinese or expensive occume for hull?

  • Walter
    Apr 11, 2011
      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "thewildernessvoice" <thewildernessvoice@...> wrote:

      > I am seriously thinking about building the Whalewatcher I have plans for, it will take about forty sheets of plywood edensaw is near me in Tacoma WA, they cheap chinese occume that meets the 1088 standard is about $40 a sheet where as the expensive stuff is about $100 more per sheet. Either the cheap or expensive occume is going to be epoxy encapsolated by the time I am done. So, wonder if there are any negitives in using the cheaper plywood? What do I lose when I use the Chinese stuff. Now, I plan to use the boat for about twenty yrs.
      > In a way, it is kind of a deal breaker for me. I use the same amount of labor and epoxy with either choice, but will likely build a Chebaco if buying the expensive occume is just worth it. I am sure the Chebacco would serve me well. However, I have lusted over the whalewatcher and so what advantage in practical terms considering the longevity of the boat to use the more expensive ply? On the other hand, if the cheaper plywood will work as well over the long term, that is good to know as well

      Why not check out your local fir marine ply ? Phil pretty much spec'd fir for his designs. Fir ply prices are probably in the middle of the spread you quote above. I know fir quality is not what it was, but if you are going to epoxify it all, it should work fine. I have built many boats with fir marine ply, they will easily last 20 years. Take a look at the local stuff, it may surprise you.
    • Show all 14 messages in this topic