65910Re: Dynamite Payson - Sad News

  • Phillip
    Mar 29, 2011
      My experience with Dynamite was similar. I had heard of his openness and willing to greet visitors so that in the summer of 2000, on the way to Mahone Bay Nova Scotia with a June Bug in tow, my daughter and I stopped in on him and his wife with but a call from a local store. Sure his wife had told us, come on down, we are out and about and Dynamite was in his shop. When we arrived a few minutes later, Mrs. Payson took my 15-year old daughter into the house and introduced her to their several cats. I spoke with Dynamite in his shop, he was working only models at the time and had just completed an old Maine working scow. He had kind words for my instant boat. I purchased a copy of the original Instant Boat books which he had in his shop and he signed it, "Happiness is building your own boat, Dynamite". A bit later as we prepared to leave, they noted that they had to get back to the wedding preparations for their son or daughter, I believe, for the following day right there on the side of the inlet. Though we may have dropped in at an inopportune time, the couple were the picture of graciousness.

      It was an honor to meet him, and he will be missed.

      Phillip and Mary Lea
      -- Russellville, Arkansas

      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "prairiedog2332" <arvent@...> wrote:

      > I stopped in and saw Dynamite once. My wife and I went "down east" many
      > years ago from Saskatchewan through Indiana and back up north to Prince
      > Edward Island.
      >
      > I decided to see if I could look him up going through Maine and pick up
      > a set of Cartopper plans. Got directions from the South Thomaston
      > General Store to his place that had a small sign at the entrance but
      > can't recall what it was now. But I immediately recognized his small
      > shop and wind direction indicator made from a paddle over it.
      >
      > It was a nice July day, the door was open and he was inside and
      > immediately said "Come on in." He was working on a boat model I
      > recognized as a "Friendship Sloop". (It was the "Amy R. Payson" later
      > sold as a kit in Woodenboat Mag.)
      >
      > It all became a bit of a blur for me after that, just like a devotee
      > meeting his guru for the first time. He showed his methods for building
      > models and then took me out to see a couple of Cartoppers he had built
      > for clients - all done with polyester resins and regular exterior
      > non-marine paints - but flawless in fit.
      >
      > Next came an invite for refreshments and a bite to eat from Amy and we
      > sat outside on their little deck and visited. A lot of the conversation
      > had to do with his collaborating with Mr. Bolger which brought to the
      > forefront a taste of what it must have been like when those two got
      > together!
      >
      > Before we knew it their son Neil arrived home from his teaching job and
      > suddenly we realized it was way beyond the time we intended to stay.
      >
      > If I could sum it all up, Dynamite was a person very willing to share
      > his knowledge yet tremendously interested in where you were coming from
      > as well.
      >
      > I once read that " True genius sometimes comes across as deceptively
      > simple." Anyone who had met Dynamite I think would agree.
      >
      > Those wishing to pay respects:
      >
      > http://bchfh.com/obituary.php?2214
      >
      > Nels
      >

      > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, c o'donnell <dadadata@> wrote:
      > >
      > > "Build the Instant Catboat" got me back into sailing and led me to
      > > boatbuilding with whatever's on hand. I feel like he was a neighbor
      > > even if we never met.
      > >

      > > === craig o'donnell
      > > dadadata@
      > > Box 66 Still Pond Md 21667