65677Re: A Bolger launch?

  • f_swygert
    Mar 3, 2011
      I'm with you on this Doug. I think I'd definitely rig one of the golf cart motors up for a sail boat auxiliary, at least where a 5-10 hp motor would work. An electric motor is generally rated at continuous output, a mechanical gasoline engine is typically rated at max output -- though I'm not positive about outboards. Typical golf cart motors are rated at 5-8 hp, but that should be continuous running as long as they are adequately cooled. They usually run at 48V (8x6V batteries). 12V deep cycle batteries won't last as long as 6V golf cart batts, but that's when they are drained and charged often. If more than just docking or getting out of the marina (more than 30 minutes) is needed then crank the generator and keep the batts up. Most sail boats have a small generator anyway. Not much difference between the generator running or an outboard as far as noise, though the gen can be placed in an area where the noise is muffled. Solar cells could help with the batteries, especially a trickle charge to keep them up while docked. Don't think I'd try for much more than that. The battery/gen system could double for lighting and such too.

      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Douglas Pollard <dougpol1@...> wrote:

      > I think electric is going to very practical for sailboat
      > auxiliaries in the not to distant future as long as you spend most
      > nights in a marina where you can charge batteries or use the motor very
      > little. If you are going off cruising they probably won't work unless
      > you want to listen to a generator run all night.
      > The future is almost here. Doug

    • Show all 20 messages in this topic