    Mar 2, 2011
      Here is a possibility, though it is not a Bolger Launch. I have an Elver sailboat double ended flat bottom and a finely shaped hull above the water.  I talked to a few about a years ago to a fellow who bought one, tore the cabin off of it and put seats down both sides for guests to set in. The seats set facing inward so gest would be facing each other for conversation. The seats also were hull supports to replace the strength that had been given by the cabin.  He had planned an electric motor as well.  The idea was to have a family launch that they could take a couple neighbors and themselves for a Sunday afternoon cruise.
          Go take a look at the boats on the Elver sight by Steve Redmond. Might be able to pick one up for $1000 or so and modify it.  I can envision she would make a handson little cruiser with only about 3" of draft at the bow and a foot at the stern.  Nice for running up on the beach.                                                                                       Doug

      On 03/02/2011 11:03 AM, Greg Kay wrote:

      What I was thinking about personally was something on the general order of above-water appearance as the fantail launch posted earlier (http://www.woodenboatstore.com/prodinfo.asp?number=400-092) but of a lighter build on an easily-driven lower hull, preferably flat bottom. I'm thinking the battery bank should go along the centerline (or possibly even inside a shallow box keel?) with the low weight adding maximum stability (allowing for people moving around) with minimum draft. It might be possible to extend the cruising range by making the shading canopy top dual-purpose; cover the top with solar cells to boost the battery charge. Granted, it wouldn't keep up with the discharge, but it would slow the rate down a bit while adding minimal weight. Just some thoughts...

      From: Douglas Pollard <dougpol1@...>
      To: bolger@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Wed, March 2, 2011 10:33:32 AM
      Subject: Re: [bolger] Re: A Bolger launch?

      Electric drives are great for small and maybe even big boats and even more so in the near future.  If you can get or have a golfcart motor I would use it. I am not as sure that I would buy a motor and batteries unless just a trolling motor and a couple batteries where there is not a lot of money involved.  It is my understanding that the new batteries will be much higher voltage and so will the motors they run.  I am not sure that what I am saying here is true but maybe just something to think about? I think electric is going to very practical for sailboat auxiliaries in the not to distant future as long as you spend most nights in a marina where you can charge batteries or use the motor very little.  If you are going off cruising they probably won't work unless you want to listen to a generator run all night.
         The future is almost here.             Doug

      On 03/02/2011 09:52 AM, Greg Kay wrote:

      I saw a diagram of one once, hooked up to a shaft with a drive belt. I think Glen-L or Clarkcraft has something about that.