65281Re: Isometric, 19ft6in 'Minimum Proa'

  • etap28
    Jan 10, 2011
      I definitely have the experimental gene, and was always treading a fine line with my boaty pals where I lived, who were, and are, steeped in the most conservative boat dogma, the apex of which they rather arbitrarily seemed to have fixed at somewhere between 1890 and 1940. Sure, there's nothing wrong with a 3/4 keel ketch or sloop or schooner with stayed rigs, spoon bow, counter stern...
      My Skimmer was mocked lightly as "a boat with corners" by an eminent boat builder who shall remain nameless, though they hired me on anyway (of course I dusted his 40 footer downwind one day. .. )

      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "KK7B" <kk7b@...> wrote:

      > Hi Susanne and Group,
      >
      > Phil Bolger's influence extends well beyond boats. I dabble in boat and rig design evenings and weekends, but I am an electronic designer by profession. All of his books are close at hand, and I regularly read through a few pages of "Boats with and Open Mind" when I need to get unstuck on a radio design problem. Phil's basic philosophy of the quick experiment to test an interesting idea backed up by some theory and analysis is how I work in the lab. Reading his work is a constant reminder to view beautiful old ways of doing things with affection....but also with real interest and a critical and creative eye.
      >
      > Regarding Wooden Boats, Junks and good old stuff in general--anything more than a few generations old may be surrounded by reverent and appreciative folks who aren't thinking much about radically different approaches to the problem. Those of us with the design gene are often unwelcome in such company. Strangely enough, some of the old unsolved problems and quirks are also viewed with reverence...
      >
      > I spent some time aboard my friend Bob Larkin's Birdwatcher at the Port Townsend Wooden Boat Festival this past year, and overheard comments from all camps. Several of the most outspoken described it as the best boat there.
      >
      > Thank you for your continued presence on this web site. It is much appreciated.
      >
      > Best Regards,
      >
      > Rick
      >

      > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Susanne@" <philbolger@> wrote:
      > >
      > > AYRS is an odd phenomenon that way. We attended a meeting of the New England at Dick Newick's and they were discussing new projects and notions that Phil had resolved a while back. I think one such issue was the small centerboard way forward/large rudder aft geometry such as in CARTOPPER a long time ago, and St.VALERIE more recently. They asked Phil no questions since they apparently did not know the work (Payson had been selling them fpor years by then, with many built and sailing). There is a lot of good will and energy there but these blindspots are troubling. We speculated that the UK-roots might result in less than favorable interest in US progress on unorthodox geometries, with 'Bolger' being particularly 'hard to swallow'. How to explain, since Phil wrote in fine English ?! We left the meeting disappointed and annoyed with having spent a better part of a day around that meeting to hear folks be all excited about 'settled' questions, with Phil obviously having no role in their universe... All loss all around.
      > >
      > > Similar vibes with the Junk Rig Association, which can feature good experimentation on selected details, but will not entertain much deviation from the 'pure' junk-rig credo. The assumption seems to be that it is considered a 'rigor' and thus 'untouchable'. Well, Phil and later us together 'do touch' alright...

> [...]
    • Show all 18 messages in this topic