65273Re: Isometric, 19ft6in 'Minimum Proa'

  • c.ruzer
    Jan 9, 2011
      Hi. Possibly redundant, but to note coincidently that the Proafile Bolger/AYRS test report author, John Dalziel, also posted here Jan 8th re AS 29. ( http://groups.yahoo.com/group/bolger/message/65236 ) He may not have seen this concurrent thread. It's perhaps an old, and complex topic... I'm not sure how much John is still into proa sailing, but Kevin sure still is into the topic, and with the "need for speed", eg http://groups.yahoo.com/group/bolger/message/34451

      Many proaphiles seem to be settling for the practical advantages of COA shifting offered by twin masted rigs... amongst other things.

      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Susanne@..." <philbolger@...> wrote:

      > Very interesting test-report on the 'Chistmas-Tree' rig.
      > I believe the only proa-based report we ever saw was Joe Norwood's piece on his scaled-up (10%?) Bolger-Proa-20. Phil of course tried it on his CANARD, if memory serves correctly.
      >
      > It's been too long since we looked at that rig, see MAIB Vol24#1,2, and 4 (starting May 15, 2006):
      > - I'd have to take time to think through why you could not control your rate of acceleration at the tail-end of the shunting-process
      > - higher-wind correct reefing-options should help more, as Part 3 of that series on the 60 shows very 'civilized' proportions of areas emerging ahead and behind the axes.
      > - while there seems some dogma that Proas should always be smaller, the 60-footer's two-masted rig might offer further balance and trim-options, assuming speed-control and thus shunting-speed control are doable.
      >
      > Very good reference. More work to do...
      > Susanne Altenburger, PB&F
    • Show all 18 messages in this topic