      From: bolger@yahoogroups.com [mailto: bolger@yahoogroups.com ] On Behalf Of Susanne@...
      Sent: Saturday, January 08, 2011 9:01 AM
      To: bolger@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [bolger] Re: Isometric, 19ft6in 'Minimum Proa'

      AYRS is an odd phenomenon that way.  We attended a meeting of the New England at Dick Newick's and they were discussing new projects and notions that Phil had resolved a while back.  I think one such issue was the small centerboard way forward/large rudder aft geometry such as in CARTOPPER a long time ago, and St.VALERIE more recently.  They asked Phil no questions since they apparently did not know the work (Payson had been selling them fpor years by then, with many built and sailing).  There is a lot of good will and energy there but these blindspots are troubling.  We speculated that the UK-roots might result in less than favorable interest in US progress on unorthodox geometries, with 'Bolger' being particularly 'hard to swallow'.  How to explain, since Phil wrote in fine English ?!  We left the meeting disappointed and annoyed with having spent a better part of a day around that meeting to hear folks be all excited about 'settled' questions, with Phil obviously having no role in their universe...  All loss all around.

      Similar vibes with the Junk Rig Association, which can feature good experimentation on selected details, but will not entertain much deviation from the 'pure' junk-rig credo.  The assumption seems to be that it is considered a 'rigor' and thus 'untouchable'.  Well, Phil and later us together 'do touch' alright...

      The curved-batten rig has been built and sailed on a slightly scaled-up derivative of that PROA design.
      Phil proposed it also on a 48' whaler/double-ended free-form hull cruiser/liveaboard.  More 3-D work on that sail-type would seem useful.

      I think that total conceptual output by Phil may indeed be unique in its diversity and getting experimentation done, usually quick&instructive.  It may indeed be 'too much' for many, certainly the glossy yacht magazines far away from WOODENBOAT.

      Another example:  THE LANDING SCHOOL had no use for Phil's presence either when we went there once or twice or approached them during the WOODENBOAT SHOW for instance.  It's chief quipped into Phil's face that 'all it took to do a Bolger boat was to buy Payson's books'...  Not a bad start, but since he had nothing further to say, this cute one-liner reflected his sad state of ignorance.  Some of Phil's books are in their library.  I look forward when the combined canon and the catalogue will have to sit there in multiple copies...and becomes part of the curriculum of must-reads.  But not in Phil's life-time.

      Phil's work and personal presence may have given many the fright of (for them) overwhelming design-intellectual range.  And quite a few did not know how to address him and his work appropriately.