65177Presto-style isometric (was Re: Bolger on sharpies)

  • Joe T
    Jan 4, 2011
      What distinguishes the Presto type from other sharpies before its time is the well rounded chine. This should reduce or eliminate the problem of chine eddying, as well as the generous length to beam ratio. Learned from guru PB, as well as my own experience with hard chine kayaks mostly.
      Might be accomplished with thick wood strip at the chines in a ply boat. Haven't seen it done though.

      Joe T

      > It is worth mentioning that when PCB speaks of "sharpies" he is not
      > thinking "sharp chine" like with his box boats. Micro and Old Shoe
      > have sharp chines, but they are not sharpied. He is thinking of
      > "sharpie" meaning a high length to beam ratio. The classic "sharpie"
      > in PCB's mind was probably the Commodore Munroe designed boat Presto,
      > and PCB did a re-design of Presto for one of the Small Boat Journal
      > articles. Here is an isometric:
      > Presto-style cruiser
      > http://www.hallman.org/bolger/Presto-style/
      > 27 feet long x 7 foot width. Inside ballast made of steel bars in
      > concrete. Cat yawl. Carvel planked, or cold molded.
    • Show all 10 messages in this topic