65141Re: foam sandwich retrofit question

  • Peter
    Jan 1, 2011
      > What you want is one of the Urethane foams, not XPS.
      > XPS is and open cell foam (eXtruded PolyStyrene.)

      There was an article long ago in Small Boat Journal about using an expensive foam to build a dinghy. It was an amateur project, and the design is clunky, but it may be instructive. The files are here:

      I don't think you have to join the group to see them. Joining isn't a problem in any case.

      There as a fad for this sort of construction back in the 1970s or thereabouts. It didn't catch on for amateurs. I think the problems of getting a fair surface outweigh any benefits.

      If the idea is to build a boat from fiberglass without plywood, another idea is to lay up glass panels on "table." The table would basically be a piece of thick ply with a laminate top, like a big piece of kitchen counter. You can lay up glass to the desired size, and the side next to table will be smooth as glass. Multihull designers Richard Woods and Derek Kelsall have built boats that way.

      A problem common to a lot of strong materials is that a panel that is strong enough is not stiff enough. Pure glass panels would require different framing than ply which is stiffer for its strength.

      Peter
    • Show all 20 messages in this topic